Friday 7 September 2012

Warhammer terrain

To make a nice terrain and at the same time make possible to move movements’ tray is not an easy task. Therefore I decided to “pimp” existing Games Workshop terrain. Since I wanted to use my existing Warhammr 40 K table, it restricted what I could use of colour and structure.
The biggest challenges was to find a surface structure that was not to coarse-grained. Since Games Workshop sand is not longer available, I have to find another option Ended up using sand purchased from Amundsen Hobby AS .

I purchased the following from Games Workshop:
2 pieces of Citadel Wood
1 package of Walls and Fences
2 pieces of Citadel Gaming Hill
2 pieces of Citadel Modular Gaming Hill

Gaming hills:
I tested with Rough Coat to get a fine structure but it did not give the effected I wanted. Therefore I ended up with spraying the terrain with Chaos Black. A mixture of water and glue were used to attach the sand.
The next step in the paint the terrain with a special brown colour called Coffee, with additional black.  The colour also contained mixture of water and glue. I dry brushed the terrain with a light grey. Then I used black painting in the areas that should represent rock.
To finish it of, I use artificial snow on random places. (An easy way to hide mistakes.)

For the Citadel Wood, walls and Fences, it use another approached. After spraying the terrain with Chaos Black, I used Tin bitz to illustrate burned tree. To “freshen” up things such as sculls, rings and cordage, I use an appropriate colour.  To create the effect of that it has been burned, Badar Black wash.
The base was treated the same way as my hills.

This is how my Warhammer 40K table looks like with Warhammer terrain.


2 comments:

  1. Quite a project Dag.

    Your old hills and forests are ideal for 40K, but I agree they do not work to well when playing Fantasy. GW hills though, are excellent (they should be…). I am not personally a fan of the GW forest, but from a gaming point of view, they work well.

    I think your terrain pieces turned out nice. I recommend that you dry brush 1) Codex Grey and then 2) a light dry brush with Fortress Grey on the rock face. It is very rear rocks are pure black, and I think they would tie the hills even better with the gaming board (total). Of course, just my opinion as I see the photos.

    Looking forward to se your army presentation, and to have a game on your new “Fantasy gamin table”.

    Keep up the good work!

    Ørnulv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice. Have today purhased Administratum (Fortress grey) and Dawnstone (Codex grey) to brush up my hils. Will publish the result when I have brushed up the hils.

    ReplyDelete